EMPLOYEE BENEFITS OPERATIONS ADMINISTRATOR
City of Wilmington
The City of Wilmington, a top Delaware employer, provides public services and maintains its workforce's quality and fiscal stability through the Human Resources Department. The department oversees recruitment, training, payroll, benefits, collective bargaining, and risk management. Our Employee Benefits Division is seeking an energetic and innovative Employee Benefits Operations Administrator to manage the benefits division's fast-paced operations. Reporting to the Director of Employee Benefits, this role oversees benefits programs, financial responsibilities, and drives innovation in wellness initiatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a subject matter expert in City benefit plans, responsibilities include overseeing wellness initiatives, managing financial and strategic operations, and more:
- Serve as backup to the Director of Employee Benefits, ensuring operational continuity as needed.
- Manage fiscal duties meticulously, ensuring precision in bill payments, audits, compliance, and careful budget management to uphold a stable benefits ecosystem.
- Collaborate with benefit vendors and city departments to maintain a balanced and cost-effective benefits portfolio in line with organizational objectives.
- Play a significant role in managing and enhancing wellness programs, promoting employee well-being and engagement.
- Oversee data maintenance, utilize analytics for efficiency, manage benefit vendor relationships, and lead open enrollment for accuracy and efficiency.
- Develop and refine standardized operating processes for enhanced efficiency and consistency.
- Educate workforce on benefit changes with clear, comprehensive information for optimal benefit utilization.
- Execute all duties with adaptability, thriving in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
- Perform any other duties assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, human resource management, or other closely related field, with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the operations of employee benefits plans, or any other equivalent combination of education and experience demonstrating the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Preferred: HR certification (SHRM, HRCI, CEBS, etc.)
- Knowledge: Command of municipal operations, sound knowledge of relevant federal and state regulations (PPACA ERISA, COBRA, HIPPA, etc.).
- Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate/advanced Excel experience and benefits software with tested ability to make presentations. Learn and adapt to HRIS in benefits administration.
- Abilities: Requires strong customer service, attention to detail, communication, interpersonal, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Licenses: Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
Evaluation for this position includes a review of the application materials, certification of qualified applicants, a written exercise, and a panel interview (in-person or virtual).
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
All selected applicants must pass a criminal background investigation and pre-employment physical.
- Physical Requirements: Requires frequent sitting, walking, and occasional lifting up to 15 pounds.
- Vision: Requires near vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Working Conditions: Balances virtual and in-person work.
- Location and Schedule: Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. in the City/County building, hybrid schedule available upon completion of probation and approval. During peak periods or times of increased workload, the position may require additional hours beyond the standard workweek.
Compensation encompasses both salary administration and a comprehensive benefit package:
- Salary Administration: New employees are hired at the starting and up to median salary based on qualifications and internal equity. Annual merit increases are provided based on a satisfactory performance review.
- Benefits: The City offers a robust benefit package starting on the date of hire. Additional details available at www.WilmingtonDE.gov/benefits.
This position is open to all internal and external applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.
- To apply visit www.WilmingtonDE.gov. Computers are available in the Department of Human Resources, City/County Building, 800 N. French St, 4th Floor, Wilmington, DE 19801. Call (302) 576-2460 to schedule an appointment for computer use.
- The City of Wilmington is an equal opportunity employer.
- The City Code provides preference for eligible internal candidates, veterans, and current city residents.
- The City of Wilmington is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Delaware Persons with Disabilities Employment Protections Act, it is the policy of the City to provide reasonable accommodation when requested without causing an undue hardship. If accommodation is needed, please call (302) 576-2466.